Reprint from my published article featured on Thrive Global
When we live our lives on auto pilot, we get lost in the shuffle and life can seem more of a struggle and we tend to feel out of control. Highly successful people are focused and goal oriented. They know it’s important to practice self-care and they make time for themselves every day. The benefits are clearer thoughts, more energy and the ability to juggle multiple projects without feeling totally depleted. So what are some of the top things you can do to help you become more successful and as a result, happier and healthier? I’ve outlined seven very manageable steps you can start today!
1. Set your intentions. Upon waking in the morning, spend a few minutes setting your intentions for the day. This can be as simple as saying a little thank you or practicing gratitude for the things you have in your life. You can also practice positive self-affirming talk as if you have already achieved your goals. We all have obstacles and challenges but take a look at what you do have and acknowledge it with a positive thumbs up! This sets the stage for positive thinking all day.
2. Drink a glass of warm water with lemon. Water hydrates the body, revs up your digestive system and gets things moving. Plus, it fills you up so you don’t overeat at breakfast.
3. Eat a healthy breakfast. Rather than reaching for a box of cereal, a bagel or a fast food meal, make a quick egg scramble with eggs and some spinach, mushrooms or your favorite veggies. Try a chia seed pudding or an energy smoothie. Go easy on the sugar and the carbs in the morning and throughout the day. They will give you immediate energy but soon you will crash and have brain fog.
4. Do not check your phone or email for at least an hour upon waking. Most of us do some of our best thinking, writing and strategizing in the early morning hours. Take advantage of this time and you will be your most productive. Don’t let other’s deadlines, emergencies or to do lists hijack your morning. If you do this, you’ll find that your mind is clearer and focused and you will be happier throughout the day. A bad morning under pressure can ruin a perfectly good day!
5. Take a brisk walk outside for 20 minutes and take deep breaths all through your walk. Fill your lungs with air and take in a little nature. It will remind you that you are alive, heighten your senses and help to ground you for the day.
6. Get your body moving. Our bodies are meant to move and we are spending too much time sitting and staring at electronic screens. We sit all day at our desks at work, we sit in the car for our daily commutes and then come home and do more sitting while watching TV. The more you move your body, the better you will feel. You don’t have to do an intense workout before breakfast, but a long walk with your partner, the dog or even just yourself, will get the blood flowing and shake the body into wake-up mode. Or maybe crank your favorite song and dance in your living room like no one is watching!
7. Make a list the night before of things you want to accomplish the next day or that week. Prioritize and write them all down so you don’t have them swirling in your head all night. Staying focused and organized will motivate you to actually achieve these goals.
Focus on today and make it healthy one. Keep moving, keep growing and keep positive. Your body and mind will love you for it. Enjoy the day!
Peace, love and pear!